What are the benefits of joining WADAC?
- Coaching from UKA-qualified coaches – free to members (no track fees, either)
- Free entry to club league events in cross country (including a summer league), track and field and relays
- Cheaper entry to road races
- 15% discount at branches of Alton Sports
- Camaraderie and support at races, training and other events
- Opportunities to train as a UKA coach and/or official. In return for a level of commitment once qualified, the club will pay for your training.
- A chance to gain a club place for the London Marathon
- Social events – some running-orientated, some not
- Funding possibilities for athletes of all ages who show potential (our Podium Awards).
All this for £70 - less than £1.50/week!
Do I need to be a fast runner?
No. But if you want to be faster, fitter, stronger or able to run further, we’ll help you. For all sessions except Tuesdays, you need to be comfortable running at at least 9.30 minute miles for around an hour. If you’re not sure that’s for you, consider the Tuesday session which is adaptable for all levels of experience and fitness.
Do you do sessions for beginners?
As a guide, WADAC senior endurance membership is for confident runners who can run strongly (at any pace) for around an hour three times a week. If that pace is slower than 9.30 minute miles, the Tuesday session, together with advice from the coaches would help you build towards joining the other sessions. If you are happy running at 9.30 minute miles or faster for an hour, any of the sessions would suit you. If you are a brand new runner, consider the NHS Couch to 5k plan and parkrun to get you started.
Is there parking at the track?
No. Please park at the Barfield Close Park and Ride and walk to the track. Parking is free after 4pm.
What is the format for training sessions?
On Tuesdays we encourage people to arrive early enough to do a slow jog to warm up before drills start at 6.50pm. There are changing rooms and showers at the club house but no lockers. Belongings can be left in the club house at your own risk while you run on Tuesdays and Thursdays - this is what most people do. In the winter make sure you have warm clothes to warm up and cool down in. Please wear high-viz clothing in the winter. On Wednesdays, meet at River Park ready to run. Although the carpark is free from 5pm it is often full at this time but there is ample parking (free after 6pm) 2 mins walk away at St Peters car park.